SODH was established in 1970 as a health post by the people of Shai (Se) and handed over to the Ministry of Health. The facility advanced to a Health Centre in 1985 and finally to a district hospital in mid-2009. The hospital is situated in Dodowa, the capital of the Shai-Osudoku District.
- The hospital is the only major government health institution in the Shai-Osudoku District.
- It began with a 125-bed capacity of six wards and two(2) operating theatres. But currently has over 150 beds and over 10 wards.
- The main occupation of the inhabitant of the district, where the hospital is located, is farming particularly Mango.
- Other food crops including rice and water melon are common. Fish farming is also gaining widespread popularity among the inhabitants.
- General population – 70, 252
- It has always been chosen as a trial Center for major National Health Policies (National Health Insurance, National Malaria Treatment Policy)
- Population Based Influenza Surveillance – NMIMR, NAMRU(USA), CDC
- Antibiotic Resistance in UTI – ADMER(Netherlands)/UG